Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Early Years - Town Schools and the reserve

The first thing that I would wake up to was the smell of fried bannock every morning when I used to live with my Kohkum Irene Spyglass, I must have been about 10 years old and already I had been living at my grandparents since I was about 8 years old. My parents lived in a house that was about maybe 200 yards from where my Kohkum's house was so we were'nt really seperated from safety. During the winter months I would be sent to school in town - so I would have to catch the bus at the highway real early in the Morning. There was six of us on the bus plus the bus drivers children - I think there were four of them and that would be all the students from my whole reserve that went to a town school, everyone else went to the Indian Day School where they probably had it just as rough as we did. To the other children on the reserve we were the outcasts because we attended the town school which kind of set us up to be rich or well off or smarter, what ever the case the other children on the reserve didnt understand us. The reason that my mom wanted us to attend a catholic School was to see what was beyond the reserve, even though the only thing that stood out in my memory was how much the Priests and Sisters did not like Native People and how they taught other students not to like Native People - I think to this day those classmates of mine still dont like Native People , but make a living from Native People.

No comments: